Sometimes I would like to have something creamy. While local zucchini is still available at farmers markets, I decided to make a Carbonara-like dish. The noodles and sauce are both made of zucchini.
I used the outer part to make noodles and the inner part to make sauce. I like veggie noodles because they are lighter than noodles made of grain and don’t wear me down after I eat them. I like to quickly blanch zucchini noodles as they become easier to digest.
I’ll show the step-by-step instructions but the shorter version of the recipe and the list of ingredients are available at the bottom of this post. Let’s begin!
- Spiralize zucchini. I peeled the skin so the noodles are not too green.
2. Blanch zucchini noodles very quickly (for a minute or two) and drain
3. Squeeze water out of zucchini noodles
4. Blend the sauce ingredients except black salt until it becomes smooth
5. Pour the sauce into a pan and heat it until it become thickens. Continue stirring.
It looks like this when it thickens.
6. Add vegan bacon and black salt and stir
7. Add noodles and remove from heat when noodles are warm
I used vegan bacon made of tempeh (the recipe coming soon!). The “bacon” gives nice crunchy texture and it goes well with this creamy noodles.
This is a oil-free recipe but it’s surprisingly very creamy. You won’t miss any oil.
It’s creamy but not heavy. You can eat a lot without feeling guilty. 🙂 I hope you give it a try!
- 2 large or 4 medium zucchini
- ¼ cup vegan bacon (the recipe coming soon!)
- ⅜ cup almond milk
- 2 cups chopped zucchini (including the inner part of zucchini after spiralizing them)
- 1 teaspoon white miso
- 2 tablespoons nutritional yeast
- 1 clove garlic
- 2 teaspoons potato starch (or starch of your choice)
- Spiralize zucchini
- Blanch zucchini noodles very quickly (for a minute or two) and drain
- Squeeze water out of zucchini noodles
- Blend the sauce ingredients except black salt until it become smooth
- Pour the sauce into a pan and heat it until it thickens. Continuously stir.
- Add vegan bacon and black salt and stir.
- Add zucchini noodles and remove from heat when noodles are warm